Capitalism in the 21st Century
- Creating shared value, Harvard Business Review
- How big business created the politics of anger, Harvard Business Review
- Salesforce’s Marc Benioff has kicked off new era of corporate social activism, Wall Street Journal
- How human is your company?, The B Team
- This is strictly a business decision, WTF on Medium
- Danny Hillis on how to think long term (and still stay in business), NewCo on Medium
- The Price of Profits, Marketplace and Business Insider
- Warren Buffett’s epic rant against Wall Street, Wall Street Journal
- Why Uber and Apple won’t save the economy, NewCo on Medium
- Makers and Takers: The rise of finance and the fall of American business, Rana Foroohar
- Why the 21st century will belong to family businesses, Harvard Business Review
- “Tech bros” and their sense of entitlement will be Silicon Valley’s undoing, Quartz
- Silicon Valley’s unchecked arrogance, The Development Set on Medium
- Solving 1st world problems, Fast Company
- What Paul Graham is missing about inequality, WTF on Medium
- Who lives and dies in a down economy, TechCrunch
- A majority of millennials now reject capitalism, poll shows, Washington Post
- When capitalism fails, Foreign Policy
- What would happen if we just gave people money?, FiveThirtyEight
- Raise the minimum wage, reduce crime?, The Atlantic
- The future of humans: A 2017 reading list, Sara Holoubek
The Human Company Playbook
- A manager’s job is making sure employees have a life outside work, Harvard Business Review
- Good bosses create more wellness than wellness plans do, Harvard Business Review
- Entrepreneurs: Investing in your business doesn’t cost, in fact, it pays, USA Today
- Know your company – survey tool used by Kickstarter, Airbnb, Medium, Fast Company
- We don’t need more woman-friendly companies, Sara Holoubek on Medium
- I’ll be online later, Sara Holoubek on LinkedIn
- Pinterest removes golden handcuffs, Business Insider
- Unlocking the golden handcuffs, Medium
- Foursquare lets employees swap out underwater options, The Information
- Chobani giving employees a stake, New York Times
- Gilt Groupe is a cautionary tale for startup employees banking on stock options, Recode
- When a unicorn start-up stumbles, its employees get hurt, New York Times
- The thorn in every startup’s side, Sara Holoubek on Medium
- Behind the hype over Aetna’s minimum wage boost, Fortune
- Corporate America strikes a liberal note on wages, Politico
- Overtime Pay: A lifeline for the overworked American, New York Times
- 5,000 developers talk about their salaries, Medium
- Behind the hype of Aetna’s minimum wage boost, Fortune
- Yelp raises wages after Talia Jane’s open letter, Backchannel on Medium
Health & Wellbeing
- Your vanishing health coverage, LA Times
- Intel is offering health benefits to laid-off workers, Forbes
- These 11 companies offer 100% healthcare coverage, Fortune
- Do startups have a drinking problem?, Fortune
- Tech has a depression problem, The Atlantic
Family Leave, Family Life
- Creative industry takes parental leave pledge, Fast Company
- Nike to offer eight weeks of paid family leave, Wall Street Journal
- An unusual new policy for working mothers, Washington Post
- How our small startup affords to offer paid maternity leave, Fast Company
- Working anything but 9-5, New York Times
- A toxic work world, New York Times
- The great divide in workplace benefits, New York Times
- Silicon Valley: Perks for some employees, struggles for parents, New York Times
- Beyond doing half the parenting, Medium
- Getting creative about benefits for parents with midweek ‘playdates’, Fast Company
- Starbucks to revise policies for its 130,000 baristas, New York Times
- Inside three companies that are innovating flexible schedules, Fast Company
- Working remotely at Redox, Redox Blog
- Work hard, live well, Building Asana on Medium
- Millennial expectations: Forget the 9-5, Bridge
- The return of the nine-to-five, The Economist
- Organizational benefits of sleep, McKinsey
- Why I’ll never put my company’s clients first, Fast Company
- REI to close on Black Friday, Fortune
- Proof that a 6-hour workday could be the right move for your company, Mashable
- We’re taking a break from Slack. Here’s why, Motherboard
- Why Luminary Labs CEO Sara Holoubek discourages emails after 6 p.m., SmartCEO
Trajectory & Education
- Why it’s worth it for JetBlue and Starbucks to pay for employees’ college education, Fast Company
- Medical, dental, 401(k)? Now add school loan aid to job benefits, New York Times
- What workplaces gain when they send their employees back to school, The Atlantic
- Why top fund managers want better HR, Wall Street Journal
Inclusion and Diversity
- Diversity isn’t a goal, it’s good business, 500 Startups
- Bloomberg’s new gender-equality Index, The Atlantic
- Why big businesses are becoming more progressive, Fast Company
- The decisions I don’t regret – One parent’s take on impossible choices, She in the CLE
- The end of the office dress code, New York Times
- When it comes to age bias, tech companies don’t even bother to lie, Dan Lyons on LinkedIn
- Silicon Valley leaders, new to social issues, come together over Indiana law, New York Times
Perks vs. Benefits
- How Google weighs all of its crazy-awesome perks, Business Insider
- Office perks are dumb, Bloomberg
- Dropbox cut a bunch of perks and told employees to save more as Silicon Valley startups brace for the cold, Business Insider
- Who goes to work to have fun?, New York Times
- The Drucker Institute – Strengthens organizations to strengthen society.
- MIT Digital Economy Initiative – Explores how people and business will work, interact, and proper in an era of profound digital transformation.
- Emerson Engagement Lab – An applied research lab at Emerson College for reimagining civic engagement in a digital culture.
- Best for NYC – A free tool to help businesses compare their impact on NYC workers, communities and the environment against other businesses.
- B Lab – A nonprofit organization dedicated to using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
- Paid Leave US – Fighting for paid family leave – for everyone working in the U.S.
- The B Team – A not-for-profit initiative formed by a global group of business leaders to catalyse a better way of doing business, for the wellbeing of people and the planet.
- 100% Human at Work – A movement that believes that the time has come for businesses to stop looking at people as resources and start looking at them as human beings.
- New ways of working: The way we work is changing forever – The B Team and Virgin Unite have collaborated to research what the future of work will look like.
- Managing unconscious bias – Facebook produced videos designed to help us recognize our biases so we can reduce their negative effects in the workplace.
- Project Include – An open community working toward providing meaningful diversity and inclusion solutions for tech companies.
- Pay Gap Pledge – A pledge to pay employees fairly for equal work and experience.
- Tech Inclusion – An official initiative of Change Catalyst, an organization committed to inclusive innovation.
- High Road Workplace – An initiative by the American Sustainable Business Council to advocate for workplaces that are good for business as well as for the people who work in them.
- O’Reilly: The WTF Economy – How work, business and society face massive, technology-driven change.
- NewCo Shift – Covering the biggest shift in business and society since the Industrial Revolution
- The Work Issue – New York Times Magazine Special Issue
- The Human Company Playbook, v1.0 – A practical guide for start-ups.
- The Happy Workplace Project – Inspiring companies around the world to make work better for people and business.
- Here are the top tech companies’ secrets to hiring the best people, The Cooper Review on Medium
- Silicon Valley star T.J. Miller calls out humorless Silicon Valley tech a**holes, SFist
- Is the tech bubble popping? Ping pong offers an answer, Wall Street Journal
- So, you want maternity leave without kids? OK. Here’s how that should go, Yackler Magazine